The Whitton Business Association (WBA) represents and supports the businesses in your High Street and around Whitton. It also provides advice and helps businesses to work together and succeed.
We are funded by subscriptions from its Members and grants from Richmond Council and the RFU. We have recently commissioned Steve Roest and Colin Cooper from Community Current Ltd (the trading arm of the charity South West London Environment Network) to undertake the part-time Town Centre Manager role until December 2017. We are asking local business to renew their memberships and we are also looking for additional committee members, please contact us if you are interested.
The WBA and its members part fund and organise the two big annual community events in the High Street – Christmas Lights Switch On and St George’s Day Parade. Many traders give their time voluntarily to help manage or sponsor these popular events. They are organised to bring people into the High Street and to of course provide a focal point for the community. The WBA with the assistance of a grant from the Council pays for the Christmas lights and their installation and operation which has an annual cost of £9,500.
Other work of the WBA
- Joint marketing initiatives such as the previous Whitton Wednesdays, local newsletters.
- Representing the interests of the Town Centre with the Council.
- Working alongside the Council on any parking or street scene programmes.
- Seeking out funding sources for the area.
- Attracting investment.
- Hosting and funding a business-led website
- Improving the appearance of the High Street, such as putting up flags on the countries playing at Twickenham Stadium.
We are fortunate in that the Rugby Football Union and the Council help contribute to the costs of the St George’s Day and the Christmas Lights Switch On Events.
The WBA Executive Committee
- Chairman (Interim); Colin Cooper, Community Current Ltd
- Treasurer; Lynda Hance, Training Plus Consultancy
- Events Officer, Karen Bartlett, Sunago Ltd
- Committee Member, Steve Roest, Community Current Ltd
- Committee Member, Cllr Gareth Elliot, Horatio Court Residents Association
- Committee Member, Mark Wania, L Guess Jewellers
How you can get involved
- Join the WBA
- Join the WBA committee
- Help us at the WBA events; St George's Day Parade and the Christmas Lights Switch On
- Sign up to receive our Whitton Town Centre newsletters
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and help spread the word.
Contact the WBA